- What you need
- Cooking instructions
Red Bean, White Rice, Red Rice, Bell Pepper, Onion, Celery, Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Gumbo Filé, Cayenne, Clove, Allspice.
Nutrition: No added salt or artificial anything, Certified Gluten Free
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 lb. Sausage (traditionally Andouille)
- 10 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken(or Duck), cut up
- 5-10 oz. Fresh or Frozen Chopped Spinach or Other Greens
- (Okra is traditional, but Spinach, Swiss Chard or Turnip Greens are good substitutions)
Preparing the beans:
- Pick through the lentils. Remove discolored, shriveled lentils and any foreign material. Rinse well.
- Place the beans in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight. For a quick soak boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain and set aside until ready to use.
Preparing the soup:
- In an 8-quart pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add crumbled sausage and brown in oil.
- Add contents of gumbo mix seasoning packet and stir for 1 minute.
- Add drained, cooked beans and chicken broth to pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- Stir in rice packet and chicken. Simmer, cover and cook for 50 minutes.
- Add spinach or other greens. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve, if soup is too think, add 1-3 cups broth or water to thin.
This soup will thicken considerably if made ahead. Add broth to thin out soup consistency.