- What you need
- Cooking instructions
Split Pea, Carrot, Onion, Celery, Leek, Parsley, Thyme, Basil, Bay leaf
Nutrition: No added salt or artificial anything, Certified Gluten Free
- 8 oz. sliced bacon (or meaty ham bone)
- 6 cups chicken broth (48 oz.)
(if prepared ahead, 1-2 cups additional broth needed since soup will thicken)
- ¼ cup sherry, optional
- Pick through the split peas. Remove discolored, shriveled split peas and any foreign material. Rinse well.
- Cut bacon into ½ inch pieces and sauté for 10 minutes in a 4 quart pot until nearly crisp
(or place meaty ham bone in 4 quart pot).
- Stir in contents of soup mix vegetable packet, split peas and broth to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered 5 hours; stir occasionally.
- Just before serving add sherry, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
This soup mix came with a Nueske ham I received as a gift. I usually do not care for soup mixes – they taste somehow artificial, salty, etc. – but I just made the soup with the ham bone and it is really, really good. I’ve already had one bowl and it’s not even time for lunch!
I will look for more of your products.