Spiced & Sweet Butternut Squash & Lentil Soup
In a 4-quart pot, sauté onion in oil for 10 minutes.
Stir in contents of soup mix, butternut squash, and vegetable broth.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
Stir in orange juice and mandarin oranges, if desired. Serve.
To boost vegetables, add 2 cups chopped carrots with the squash.
To cut saturated fat, use 2 tablespoons vegetable oil instead of butter to sauté onion and butternut squash and carrots.
To cut sodium prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
To cut added sugars, prepare with 100% orange juice and go for mandarins canned or packed in 100% juice or water. Like adding wine to a stew, orange juice adds a touch of sweetness.
Recommended slow cooker size: 4-6 quart
1. In a large skillet sauté butternut squash and chopped onion in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in contents of seasoning packet.
2. Continue to stir and sauté 3 minutes longer on medium-low, then, transfer to bowl of slow cooker.
3. Add broth and lentil/bulgur mix. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.
4. Add orange juice and mandarin oranges. Cook a few minutes.
5. Sprinkle in green onions and serve!