Minnesota Heartland 11 Bean Soup
Yields20 ServingsCook Time5 hrs
You Will Also Need
Minnesota Heartland 11-Bean Soup Mix
1 Smoked ham hock (substitute a smoked turkey leg)
12 cups Water
1 Can Italian plum tomatoes, cut up (29 oz.)
2 cups Celery, sliced (about 4 stalks)
2 cups Onions, chopped (about 2 onions)
1 Green pepper, chopped
1 tsp Garlic, minced
1 tsp Salt
2 cups Chicken breast pieces, raw or cooked
1 Package smoked Kielbasa sausage (14-16 oz.)
Here's What You Do
Preparing the beans:
- Pick through the beans. Remove discolored, shriveled beans and any foreign material. Rinse well.
- Place the beans into a 6-8 quart pot with ham hock and 12 cups cold water.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
Preparing the soup:
- Add contents of soup mix seasoning packet, tomatoes, celery, onion, green pepper, garlic and salt. Bring soup back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered 1 hour.
- Cut up chicken and add to soup pot.
- Slice kielbasa sausage lengthwise into quarters. Slice crosswise to make little wedges. Add sausage to soup pot.
- Return pot to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes
- Remove ham hock from pot. Dice meat and return meat to soup pot before serving.
Serving Size 2/3 tbsp. dry mix
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 0g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 0mg
- Potassium 241mg7%
- Total Carbohydrate 16g6%
- Dietary Fiber 9g36%
- Sugars 0g
- Protein 6g12%
- Vitamin A 2%
- Vitamin C 0%
- Calcium 0%
- Iron 10%
- Vitamin D 0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.