- What you need
- Cooking instructions
Bean (Lima, Pinto, Pink, Great Northern, Black, Light Red Kidney), Pea (Yellow Split, Blackeye, Green Split), Lentil (Red, Green), Thyme, Bay leaf and Parsley
Nutrition: No added salt or artificial anything, Certified Gluten Free
- 1 Smoked Ham Hock (or smoked turkey leg)
- 12 Cups Water
- 1 Can Italian Plum Tomatoes, cut-up (29 oz.)
- 4 Stalks Celery, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 Large Onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 2 Cups Chicken Breast Pieces, raw or cooked (8-10 oz.)
- 1 Package Smoked Kielbasa Sausage (14-16 oz.)
Preparing the beans:
- Pick through the beans. Remove discolored, shriveled beans and any foreign material. Rinse well.
- Place the beans into a 6-8 quart pot with ham hock and 12 cups cold water.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
Preparing the soup:
- Add contents of soup mix seasoning packet, tomatoes, celery, onion, green pepper, garlic and salt. Bring soup back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered 1 hour.
- Cut up chicken and add to soup pot.
- Slice kielbasa sausage lengthwise into quarters. Slice crosswise to make little wedges. Add sausage to soup pot.
- Return pot to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove ham hock from pot. Dice meat and return meat to soup pot before serving.
Just tried your Eleven Bean soup mix….FABULOUS! Can’t wait to try more!
11 Bean Frontier Soup - Really Good
Andersonhouse 11-Bean Frontier Soup turned out to be very good. Normally a bean soup is not a favorite, but this was delicious. I added whole canned tomatoes as I like a variety of textures. I added kielbasa sausage and chicken. I added a green pepper according to the recipe. One could add other vegetables such as fresh green beans, cauliflower, perhaps even okra as this soup does have a flavor conducive to gumbo, in my opinion. All in all a very tasty, fun to make soup, that exceeded my expectations. I froze the extra.